In our work, we've seen a number of top leaders move on to other jobs. The transition is not always smooth. If the Executive Director or CEO of your organization is planning to leave, use the following checklist to see if your organization is ready:
- Shared identity. Does the Board and remaining senior staff share a clear and coherent understanding of the organization's identity and purpose?
- Buy-in. Has the organization been sufficiently prepared for the transition, allowing it to develop buy-in for the leadership transition?
- Mechanics. Are the mechanics and schedule of the transition well planned, including the timing of announcements to employees, Board, funders, and other stakeholders, and the process of hand-off from one leader to the next?
- Bench strength. Are the staff just below the leader strong enough to carry the organization during the transition period until a new leader is solidly in place?
- Institutional memory. Has the organization instituted a method to transfer knowledge and relationships held by the exiting leader to others in the organization?
For many organizations, it will take time to put these elements in place. To the extent possible, plan ahead for a successful leadership transition.
Do you have other points to add to this checklist? Please leave a comment. We'd love to hear your ideas.